More information for the massive tourism project that Japan has been planning was released on Japanese Yahoo News today (5/25/20). Japan “Go To Travel “campaign will be a creative way to boost the Japanese economy through domestic traveling. The name itself is still tentative with the project updating its spending limit to about 1.68 trillion (15 billion USD).
The campaign is set to start at the end of July just in time for summer vacation in Japan. The government is banking on this project to not only stimulate the economy through domestic traveling but also give a sense of safety back to the community. This project will also hope to offset the missed earnings of the 2020 Olympics and the effect of Covid-19 on the tourism industry. You can find a Japanese version of the information below here.
Japan’s “Go To” campaign is the parent name for smaller projects that cover all areas of domestic traveling in Japan. The campaign period hasn’t been decided yet. In order for the discounts to take effect you need to purchase/book during the campaign period. It hasn’t been stated yet whether Japan “Go To Travel” campaign is exclusively for Japanese residents or if foreign nationals can also participate. The name of each of these smaller projects are:
- “Go To Travel” Campaign (around 50% discount up to 20,000yen)
- Special 50% packages will be available through tourism booking companies.
- Accommodation coupons will also be available for one person/per night.
- The discount may include reduced accommodation fees, prefectural goods coupons, and more.
- “Go to Eat” Campaign (around 20% discount)
- Restaurant coupons through online booking.
- A special point system that gives a max of 1,000 yen per person.
- A designated premium food coupon.
- “Go To Event” Campaign
- Tickets for events and entertainment through a qualified ticket company may be up to 20% discounted.
- “Go to shotengai” Campaign
- Companies may get funding for local events that include the selling of clothes, foods, products, etc.
- “Go to Promotion” Campaign
- Funding for the promotion of the “Go To” campaign will also receive funding.
Check out STAY JAPAN for unique accommodations throughout Japan.